The Interview (Interview)

6:46 PM Unknown 0 Comments



My Thoughts:

           Well, I interviewed a man named Amir Ziv, who is a professional drummer and actually the uncle of our very own, Daniel Chester-Ziv. I am very happy with this interview and thought it went very well. I have learned a lot about how to go about my practice sessions, and more importantly, how to be myself in the drumming world. When I asked Amir for the best tip he could give me as I was entering the drumming world, he told me, "Keep fine tuning your practicing so that it becomes more and more focused and productive. Learn from the greats but BE YOURSELF." It is awesome to learn from the greats but more important to develop my own style. He couldn't stress enough the importance of being your own drummer and not mimicking anyone else. I will definitely make sure not to adopt anyone else’s style and create my own, but Amir also offered be another great tip. In his answer to the same question Amir said, “don't know what your skill level is, so in more general terms, make sure to keep it fun or else the passion for it might leave for something else.” Amir stressed the importance of having fun while playing. Sometimes, I stress too much while playing, and make it too serious. I definitely need to begin to have some more jam sessions, where I just release stress and play what I want, and play along to songs I like. This will help me keep my love for the drums beyond the Genius project. My favorite tip, or the one I found the most helpful, was when I asked Amir about coordination. Here is his answer from the interview:

Q3: What is the easiest way to strengthen coordination while drumming?

          "I don't think there is one easiest way. Being able to vocally articulate, or sing what you are trying to learn how to play, is one of the best tools I have found for strengthening coordination. Practicing at very slow tempos enables you to really learn what is happening in between the notes which in many ways is even more important as playing the notes themselves, as the space between them is the glue that binds them together and determines so much of the overall feel."


          I took a lot out of this answer. It helped me to understand that it is good to say what you are playing and sing along to the music. The more familiar I am with the music the better I will be able to play. He also stressed slowing down my playing, which I have heard before. I need to definitely practice hitting the drum softer, which goes along with slowing down my playing


           All in all, Amir really helped me to improve the way I practice. Since the interview I have begun to make practice more fun, and create an environment where I am excited to play. I have begun singing along with the songs I play, and have attempted to take it more slowly, instead of going too fast and stressing out my brain. I have also begun to listen to some of the greats, in order to get a sense of the variety of styles of drumming, and how I will work my own style into that mix. I am excited to keep drumming with Amir’s tips in mind.  

You Might Also Like

0 comments: