Taking a Step Back (In History) (3)

3:31 PM Unknown 2 Comments

            Hi everyone! This has been a big week in my journey of learning to play the drums. As you already know I am learning to play the song, “You Shook Me All Night Long” by AC-DC, however this week, I finished learning to play sheet one of three. This means I am getting closer to being able to play, what is now appearing to be an intermediate song. This week I learned the first fill in the song, which lasts about four measures, and I learned the chorus. Both of these required a lot of time to memorize and learn because I am not used to them.

 The fill was very tricky to get down because it was my first real introduction to playing the cymbals. Up to this point I haven’t really done much with them but this song, and basically every other song, requires the cymbals to be played. This allowed me to learn the proper way to hit the cymbals, and how to transition my right hand from hitting the High-Hat, which is the little cymbal you could see me using in my last video, to the cymbal. This is a difficult transition to make and took some time and patience to get down.  Besides the cymbals and the new arm movement this fill required, I could memorize and keep the tempo pretty well.
The chorus was actually a little bit easier than the fill. It was very repetitive, like most choruses are which made it easy to memorize. Once I had it memorized I just had to get down the bass drum pattern (the bass drum is controlled by the foot pedal) and make sure I could use the cymbal properly. All in all, learning this fill and chorus really helped my knowledge of different parts of the drum, and how to incorporate them into my playing.

          Besides learning this part of the song, I also did a lot of research. I used the Science of Rock and Vic Firth History of Drumming, to give me a little insight on how drumming came to be.


           I discovered that the drums were actually man’s first instrument, and they haven’t always had as many pieces and sounds as they do today. When the drums first started, there was only one drum that would be played. This one drum was made of a shell and a membrane (skin) that could be hit using your hands or a stick. These early drums were used by the indigenous people for religious ceremonies. From there the sounds only got better and more diverse. Eventually the bass drum and the snare drum were introduced. These were all separate instruments but could be played by multiple people to create an amazing sound.

However, this separated drum set was very expensive and hard to lug around, that is why people began to try to combine the set. The first attempt at this was a snare and bass drum that were played in conjunction with one another. This was a very popular form of drumming at its beginnings. This became very hard to play, and limited to only the two drums. Then, Ludwig and Co. invented the foot pedal and freed up the hands to play various drums, the snare, the high hat, the high tom, the floor tom, and the cymbals, while keeping a beat with your foot. When these drums were all put together they would be called a kit, and the snare, bass, and high-hat would keep the basic beat. This was the beginning of most modern drumming.


This kit did not make drumming what it is today, but it sure helped. After the creation of the kit, different instruments from different cultures started to be added to the kit to make different sounds. For example, there was a cymbal that was adopted from Chinese culture. This cymbal was put on many drums at the time and used to create a unique sound that people hadn’t heard before. Also, now that drummers had a full kit they would start developing different styles and types of drumming. Drumming was all started by marching band drumming, but could now evolve into jazz and rock and many more. These styles of drumming would shape the drumming world and create the drumming we know today.
The history of the drums really amazed me, and taught me a little about the instrument I am learning. I fund in fascinating that the drums were man’s first instrument, and who knew how much they were shaped by history. I hope that you found this history as interesting as I did, and that you can have a greater appreciation for the drums now.

I would also like to let all of you know, I will be posting a video sometime this week in a short blog post. I want you to be able to hear the chorus and fill that I told you so much about! Stay tuned!


You Might Also Like

2 comments:

  1. You've obviously put in a lot of effort into finding out more background on your project! How will the research help you with learning the drums?

    also, you should try the drum fill at the start of Hawaii 5-0. Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool blog post! I can tell how much you researched and how much time you spent learning to play the song. Good job! Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete